Softball players need to know exactly what they are trying to accomplish when conditioning and training. The goal in the following video is for a team of fast pitch softball players to get stronger, faster, build the hips, and work the hamstrings.
Effective Softball Conditioning Using Resistance
Working the legs, hips, and core using the Myosource Kinetic Bands will build strength and speed. These conditioning exercises are for gaining speed, hip flexor power, and vastly improving the ability to get to the softball. This type of training will build skill, quickness, and improve the overall softball performance. The Myosource Kinetic Bands are a perfect way to condition in a shorter amount of time. After a couple weeks of performing these exercises with the Myosource Kinetic Bands, it will be easy to see the difference in how much stronger, faster, and less fatigued you will perform.
Softball Conditioning Exercises
These conditioning exercises are more effective and provide better results when performed with resistance.
Girls Softball - High Knee Lunges:
Softball players perform this exercise wearing the Myosource Kinetic Bands to work on balance and leg and core strength. The bands add the tension softball players need to enhance each movement, building faster muscle contractions that are able to fire quicker and with more power.
- The softball players put on the Myosource Kinetic Bands.
- Bring the right knee up as high as possible.
- Extend the right leg forward to take a big step, bringing the left knee down as far to the ground without touching.
- Twist at the waist to the right, while the left knee remains down and stand up.
- Bring the left knee up as high as possible.
- Extend the left leg forward to take a big step, bringing the right knee down as far to the ground without touching.
- Twist at the waist to the left, while the right knee remains down and stand up.
- Continue progressing forward, alternating sides. Make sure that the front knee never passes the front of the foot.
Girls Softball - Backward High Knee Lunges
The purpose for the backward high knee lunges is for better balance and body control. The players will really feel the resistance in their hips, thighs, glutes, and legs. The resistance allows the softball players to get stronger while increasing balance, stability, and power in a shorter period of time.
- With the Myosource Kinetic Bands on, the softball player will bring their right knee up as high as possible.
- Extend the right leg back, bringing the right knee down as far to the ground, without touching, into a lunge position.
- Twist at the waist to the right, while the right knee remains down.
- Bring the left foot back, while standing up to gain ground backwards.
- Now bring the left knee up as high as possible.
- Extend the left leg, bringing it down into the lunge position.
- Twist at the waist to the left, while the left knee remains down.
- Stand back up where the left foot is to gain ground backwards.
- Continue progressing backwards, alternating sides.
Girls Softball - Bird Feeder:
This exercise utilizes the Myosource Kinetic Bands to fire the hamstrings. Focus on balance while performing this exercise. Feel the tension of the resistance in every movement. When a softball player performs the same exercise immediately after, without any resistance, they immediately feel more lightweight and strong.
- The softball player will start on the base line wearing the Myosource Kinetic Bands with arms extended above the head.
- Lean forward with upper body, using the core, while lifting the right leg straight back and up. Try to get the body in a parallel position to the ground, while standing on the left foot.
- After placing the right foot back on the ground, lift the left leg straight back and up.
- Remember to keep the arms extended above the head throughout the entire exercise.
- Continue alternating sides.
Girls Softball - Lunging Slides:
This exercise works the hamstrings, thighs, and hips for lateral movements. Make sure to feel the tension of the bands in the hamstrings and glutes.
- The softball player will stand sideways on the baseline with her right shoulder forward, keeping both feet facing forward.
- Take a step sideways with the right foot and lower into a right side lunge position.
- Immediately lunge to the left and stand back up, bring the left foot towards right foot but not touching.
- As conditioning progresses the softball player will stay low, instead of standing up each time, to work the hamstrings and glutes even more.
- Keep the arms straight in front of the body to work on balance and stretch the core and upper body.
- After reaching end line reverse and go back, leading with the left lunge.
Girls Softball - Side Shuffle:
This is another exercise that uses the Myosource Kinetic Bands to work on staying centered, low, and balanced.
- The softball player will stand sideways on the baseline with their right side leading.
- Get down into fielding stance with the knees bent, feet wide, and chest up.
- Shuffle step to the right with the right foot, then with the left.
- Stay low throughout the entire exercise, focusing on balance and keeping the body centered.
- After reaching the end, reverse the exercise and go back leading with the left shuffle step.
- Stretch out the hamstrings with butt-kick jogging. At this point the softball player has been working hard and needs to loosen up the hamstrings.
Girls Softball - High Knee Jumps:
High knee jumps use the Myosource Kinetic Bands to build explosion. Each jump should be rapid and as high as possible.
- The softball player jumps, bringing both knees up toward the chest.
- As soon as the feet hit the ground, jump right back up. Land on the toes as soft as possible.
- Keep chest up the entire time.
- Throw in a high knee jog forward down and backwards back. Again, this is to work the quads with the resistance tension. Make sure to drive the knees up as high as possible.
Girls Softball - Pushup Leg Extensions:
- The softball player will get down into a regular pushup position and perform a normal pushup.
- While still in pushup position, bring the right leg out to the side and back in. Repeat with the left leg.
- Alternate sides twice and then do another pushup and repeat.
- Make sure to keep the back flat to help strengthen the core.
- The tension of the resistance bands will be strong when bringing each leg out and back in.
Softball Main Page