Posted on July 09, 2013
The next portion of our series of Myosource cheerleading training videos is building stronger legs for higher cheerleading jumps and kicks. This strength training is for the benefit of developing higher jumps, safer stunts, higher kicks, and safer landings. In the following video Ashley is performing leg raises while wearing Myosource Kinetic Bands, which will help strengthen her hips, hamstrings, quads, glutes and thighs so she can jump, and kick higher. Myosource Kinetic Bands are putting tension on the muscles by adding resistance in order to strengthen her legs, hips and core.
This portion of our cheerleading strength program is about working on building the hamstrings, glutes, and quads. The goal is to work on strength and range of motion. With stronger quadriceps and glutes cheerleaders will be able to kick higher, faster, and with better form, which will result in great cheer jumps. The idea is for cheerleaders to develop tight and strong muscles so that their jumps become more powerful and explosive. Most cheerleaders have a dominant side, which is more flexible and stronger. Make sure to work both sides in order to maintain great balance, form and body control.
• Cheerleaders put on Myosource Kinetic Bands
• Use a wall for balance
• Lift left leg forward and upward
• Bring the left leg slowly back down
• Continue the motion by lifting the left leg backwards and slowly back down
• Make sure to keep your body straight, do not lean, and maintain control throughout the exercise – keep the body straight – the back must remain straight to stay inline with the feet - when lifting the leg forward make sure not to dip down
• Perform 8 reps then unclip the kinetic bands and perform 8 reps without resistance. When you perform this cheer exercise without resistance pick up the pace to build momentum.
• Perform 2-3 sets of 8 reps on each leg with resistance and without resistance
It is crucial for cheerleaders to be flexible and strong. Cheerleaders perform a variety of stunts, dances, jumps, and tumbling runs, which require strong legs. If you spend the time and commitment that it takes to increase your leg strength you will see great results and gains in your jump height, form, and overall cheer ability. A lot of cheerleaders hesitate to strength train because they do not want to build big bulky muscles. Our cheerleading strength training for cheerleaders is for toning and firming not bulking up.
A great aspect of Myosource Kinetic Bands is that if you and/or your cheer team already have a strength-training program then adding Myosource Kinetic Bands to that training is simple and easy. This will help you reach your goals sooner for great cheerleading jumps and skills. If you are serious about improving your cheerleading jumps you have come to the right place. Building the legs, hips, thighs, and glutes with Myosource Kinetic Bands will help you achieve the height you are aiming for as well as develop great balance, form, and stability.